Wednesday, December 22, 2010

We Sleep Inside of This Machine

I didn't pick this song because I'm trying to offend anyone this Christmas Season. In reality, it's just a really good song. It's kinda been playing in my head for a couple days 'cause I was talking to one of my friends about it. The first time I ever sang this song around my house my mother almost shanked me with a butcher knife. Given, I was singing it under my breath and it probably just sounded like I was in the mood to be excessively offensive or something, but that wasn't the purpose at all. However, to be clear, this is not swearing.
Actually, this song is something of a letter to Jesus. I think every person in the world could relate to this song, if they took the time to listen to it instead of become instantly offended. We all know of the hymns that we sing in church on sunday, but they're all hopeful and praising. This song is a plea to Jesus without the hope and understanding. It's forlorn and confused, and gorgeous.
Everybody has days when they don't see the silver lining of every cloud. Everyone has days when their light is too slight to hold back all their dark. It'd be kinda ridiculous if we could all sing amazing grace everyday. I just think it's pretty neat that this writer was willing to go there. When so many people are just afraid of offending people by doing this exact thing.
I think some days people just feel bad. It happens to everyone. Everyone feels guilty for things that they've done and people that they've hurt. It's just particularly hard when you know you're screwing up and you still do it (this ship went down in sight of land).
In reality, I think we're all a little bit scared we'll get scared.
The goal, I suppose, is to put down the wood and nails. To not take up residence with the lifestyles of the people who (in essence) nailed Jesus to the cross.
The machine, to me represents the reality that we all live in. Sometimes we forget the need for anything but ourselves, and when you sleep inside of the machine, it just means that you don't even come out to go to bed. You have to step out of your little world, and recognize the big picture.
Don't sleep inside of the machine.



Jesus Christ, that's a pretty face
The kind you'd find on someone that could save
If they don't put me away
It’ll be a miracle

Do you believe you're missing out?
That everything good is happening somewhere else
But with nobody in your bed
The night is hard to get through

And I will die all alone
And when I arrive I won’t know anyone

Well, Jesus Christ, I’m alone again
So what did you do those three days you were dead?
Because this problem's gonna last
More than the weekend

Well, Jesus Christ I’m not scared to die
I’m a little bit scared of what comes after
Do I get the gold chariot
Do I float through the ceiling

Do I divide and fall apart
Cause my bright is too slight to hold back all my dark
This ship went down in sight of land
And at the gates does Thomas ask to see my hands?

I know you'll come in the night like a thief
But I’ve had some time alone to hone my lying technique
I know you think that I’m someone you can trust
But I’m scared I’ll get scared and I swear I’ll try to nail you back up
(everyone now)
So do you think that we could work out a sign
So I’ll know it's you and that it's over so I won't even try
I know you'll come for the people like me
But we all got wood and nails,
And we turn out hate in factories
But, we all got wood and nails
And we turn out hate in factories
Yeah, we all got wood and nails
And we sleep inside of this machine

No comments:

Post a Comment